Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Skill I do not own

It's just a few minutes past 1PM, the house is empty, the dishes rinsed clean of spinach & mushroom omelette that was served with a little too much salt, stacked in the dishwasher, and one completed math homework abandoned on the dining room table, I make my way to the couch for a mini break. "Autumn in New York" is my movie of choice, realizing that I may not have time to finish the entire movie, I watch anyways.

Laying on the couch I laid on last night when I listened to the beating rain, instead, I hear the wind roaring loudly like the sound of Dan's voice when DirectTv isn't operating at its best, encouraging the trees to dance aggressively, almost out of control. I can see through the open shutters the leaves from those trees swinging at each other in a rhythmic melody. And the pleasant music from the movie is a perfect complement, making me feel relaxed, yet uneasy.

I daze off for a moment, critiquing my current cooking skills and plotting ways to improve on a skill I never had. I have read a hand full of recipes, know about some common spices, and even how to prepare foods to be cooked on the grill, but apparently this is only enough to satisfy my own taste and no body else'. Rachel Ray's 10-minute meals will only hold us over, but it is a meal prepared with experience, knowledge, and time that will yield maximum happiness to a family. I am determined to gradually improve.

Soon the wind will subside, the movie will end, the floor will be mopped, countertops will sparkle, and math homeworks will be completed. But before my cooking skills will be polished, we will head to Sit n' Sleep and Macy's home store to do some detailed investigation on some of Dan's favorite mattresses made by Stearns & Foster. By the end of the day, we would have laid on every single type of S & F from Luxe Estate to Luxury Latex.

I'd like to end this blog with a quote from the movie, "Food is the only beautiful thing that truly nourishes".

No comments:

Post a Comment