Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bouquet of colorful humanitarians

Often times we get too self absorbed, become sucked into the world of materialism and forget about the less fortunate. When it does dawn on us, our guilty conscience forces us to give a dollar to the man who stands on the side of a busy exit off the 405 freeway holding a 'homeless' sign. We hardly plan ahead or purposely do something good for the sake of doing something good.

 This morning, if you follow the yellow tide dyed balloons after you've parked your car in the parking structure, you will find yourself  at the Hampton salon where home stylists are donating their time and talent to raise money to fill containers of hope that gets shipped to all parts of Africa.  Loud  music, mountains of bagels, donuts and cookies, assorted gourmet coffee and cream, and champagne, are just the bare essentials to jump start the Container Of Hope Fundraising event hosted by our very own Hampton Salon, and coordinated by Alex Abston and Lindsey Carter.

 Generating eight hours of beauty and fun, concession stands selling hair accessories and custom jewelry add tones of color and festivity throughout and the salon.  For those stylists who aren't too cool to do free haircuts or willing to sacrifice one day away from their family, pitched in to serve either a four-hour or eight-hour shift, and in my case, I will be scissoring from 8AM til noon.  

 With bright blonde hair, dense, but soft and fragile on the ends, Chandra, a loyal client's friend, requested that I cut her hair without shampooing.  So smoothing the hair with several strokes using my comb, I start and end the haircut in one single snip. That is record for being the easiest haircutting donation I have ever done.

 To change up the pace, I am given Shirley who has jet black hair, stiff & straight, and length reaching the middle of her bum. Instead of wanting a small trim, she salivates over a complete make-over, shortening of half the length, accentuating with soft layers all around and fringe swept to the side. Exceeding her expectations, she gives me her trust and future business - expecting to make herself a future appointment for a body wave perm.

  Little Elle, a 10-year-twin, ice-hockey-player, petite and dainty, closes my day with bouncy curls and a bright smile.  Her glimmering hazel eyes sparkled as she smiles and thanks me.  After four haircuts, half a donut, champaign, and endless mingles with the walk-in clients, I have laid the perfect pathway for my day. 

 Arriving home to an empty house, I knew right away that Dan is out to run a few errands.  This is my chance to squeeze in some "me time".  In less that 15 minutes, just enough time for me to slip into around-the-house sweat clothes, Dan comes barging in, and in his hand is a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.  Extending his arm straight at me, he says," just to say I love you".  when all else fails, give a dollar to the man holding a homeless sign or better yet, a bundle of colorful flowers will do the job.   This act of kindness will hold you over for a little while.

1 comment:

  1. Both of you are so sweet! The world is better with the two of you in it :)

    ReplyDelete