Saturday, March 10, 2012

The ground I play on



For some, work is a means to make
money and pay the bills, for others work is a place to escape their hectic home life, but for me, work isn't work, it is a playground. Most of the time I feel guilty for going to work because stereotypically, it is a place where one works really hard to earn a few bucks.

Today is Saturday and is the fourth and last day of my work week. With Diane Lau being my first client at 9 o'clock, my day heads in the right direction. Diane has gorgeous locks of dark expresso hair and when pressed straight with a flat iron, enhances its glass-like texture and bounces effortlessly to her every movement. With her wedding approaching in several months, and engagement photos next weekend, we have been nourishing every inch of its length, keeping it long and voluptuous.

Our goal today is maintain the shape of the layers while accentuating its fullness and body. I begin the haircut with a strong foundation by developing a defined base line then following it with soft interior layers. After working the foundation to my satisfaction, I reach for the powerful TGR 1800 watts blow dryer and start to create sexy curls. Understanding the stubborn straight texture embedded in each strand,I choose a brush that is strong enough to soften its stubbornness - an inch and a half metal brush.

From the nape, I section off 2 inches of hair, just enough to wrap it snug around the curvature of the brush, slowly applying maximum heat to the hair. Rolling the brush gently between my palm, the hair gets evenly separated over the brush, wrapping itself around it, blowing until the shape is built to my liking, and to finish off, I swing the entire brush counter clock-wise before releasing it, giving a perfect S-shape to the hair. Allowing that section to cool completely, I make my way up the head shape and drop down another section of hair.

Many sections later, her hair is full and soft curls dominate her style. This is when she says with great excitement, "this is exactly what I want for my engagement photos next weekend". Voila, we have discovered the look she didn't even know she wanted when she first sat down in my chair.

This is my first client of the day and it is a typical day at the "playground". It is where I do my best work, socialize with my best people, and leaving with a sense of confidence I could have never found doing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment