Thursday, February 16, 2012

Y-E-S


From a so-called beatlab, inspired by Step Brothers, or otherwise known as Dan's private place for alone-time and secret dances, were tunes of "Your Birthday" by The Beattles, "In da Club" by 50 cent, and "birthday Sex", by Jeremiah, all Deejayed by the master himself, Dan Sheahan. One tune after the next, it travels into our room and gently caresses my ears as I lay in bed unable to wake up. Sitting on the nightstand is the sweet aroma of freshly brewed coffee resting in a pink Pepelepue cup with a swirl of vanilla nut creamer. It is irresistible and the smell is so real I can taste it. This is when I realize that today is a special day.

Today is Thursday and it is one day out of the week that gets stretched like a shrunk knit sweater that has been tossed in the drier for too long. The usual work, then school, then more work routine gets an unexpected side order of Dan's later to be revealed birthday surprise. Rolling up in his driving machine, and parked in the red zone outside my work, he waits patiently as I finish up my last client for the day. With Gulf Stream, a local seafood restaruant with the coolest outdoor patio and amazing oysters on the half shell, as our final destination, Dan insists on making a quick stop beforehand. All trust invested, I follow his lead. Although my stomach is kicking in pain and begging for anything to eat, I remain as cool as a mid-summer's strawberry lemonade. As we head further away from Newport and closer to Huntington Beach on PCH going northbound, my wondering mind is restless and my tummy is now fuming with steam ready for a Man vs Food challenge.

With luck on my side, a parking spot became available upon our arrival in downtown Huntington Beach. Parked on 5th Street, a number held close to my heart, we walk towards the ocean with hands locked tight and shivering every step of the way. Hunger creeps up on me once again, but I refrain from voicing it this time around. As we approach the front of Shorebreak Hotel, he points out the exact spot of our first meeting eleven months prior. The magic number five appears again, all of them are black beach chairs placed horizontally side by side in front of the hotel. Dan was adamant to have me sit in the chair where he had sat the first day we met. "I have two birthday presents for you to open," he says softly. From a black fabric recycled grocery bag, he hands me two wrapped presents, one on top of the other and insists I start with the small-sized present on top.

This little square shaped present was small enough to fit comfortably in the middle of my palm. I felt an immediate connection to the box and felt in my heart this could be my dream come true. As I continue to unwrap and finally open the red wooden box, it was empty, just the white velvet lining glimmering back at me. If this is a joke, it is poorly delivered and nobody is laughing. Feelings of confusion and possibly resentment may be filtering my thoughts. Dan immediately intersects my shocking reaction with a ring held loosely in his right hand and on one knee, he asks me words I will never forget, "Will you marry me?". Without a blink of an eye, tears came rolling down and both of us held each other tight. Catching small gaps of air, Y-E-S! are being whispered under my breath as Dan holds me even tighter.

While time is unmeasurable and bliss is our state of being, the second and bigger present got pushed to the sideline. But eventually, out of the corner of my eye, it catches my attention and excitement fills my body again. This is just the cherry on top - a Blackberry Playbook!!

Tonight I will pack my bag, filling it with only memories of the past, learned lessons, and my willingness to make Dan my priority, I head out to the road of woman hood. I am beside myself and ever so grateful to take on this next saga with my beloved. O

No comments:

Post a Comment