Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday

It all started out with a walk to the park, at 10:30am where Dan shot hoops and showed me how to line sprint on the basketball court. In addition, our day will consist of Pho, Yogurtland, and an intentional all-day vegging

It's about three hours into the showing of 84th Academy Awards, with my sore body unable to do much more around the house, I flop myself on the couch, laying my backside against the nicely worn leather with my feet tucked lightly under a soft black faux fur throw, I force myself to relax. My body opens up to the couch, pulls it close and grabs on to it tight, like the way Miss Dior Cheri envelopes my delicate skin every time I leave the house. I'm comfortable and able to forget about all the cleaning, organizing, cooking, and loads of laundry that ironically happened all day long. Whatever happened to the anticipated day of doing nothing?

My body becomes vulnerable to this couch and my mind is being relaxed by the white noise produced from the Academy Awards. I take a quick glance at Dan, who is lounging on the lover’s seat perpendicular to me, and notice his intense focus on the laptop in front of him.

I begin to reminisce about the guilt I felt yesterday, when we had jokingly posted a microwave on Craigslist to sell for $25. It took an astonishing two minutes to receive a response from a guy named Martin and within 45 minutes it was sold. I've never felt so guilty for selling a household item that was in mint condition and practically brand-new. It was a bargain!

After accepting the payment in cash and putting it my neon green American Eagle snow jacket's pocket, the guy said he's buying this to furnish a house operated by SoberLiving - a drug and alcohol recovery housing provided to those in need. My first reaction was to give back the money. “This is wrong of me to do,” I thought to myself. Resisted the urge to return the money, I quickly looked around the garage for more stuff to give him, as if to give him enough stuff to accommodate for the money he had paid me for the microwave. As if I owed him something and that I needed to help him somehow. I pointed to a pile of stuff that Dan and I had sorted through last weekend and told him to take whatever he needed. He filled his brand-new, black Cadillac SRX with a TV, lamp, and other nick nacks from the pile of stuff. The more his car was being filled up, the less guilt I felt and the more I felt like I was helping in some way. I’m not sure if that was a good deed that we had done, but I’m hoping to not feel guilty for spending our microwave money on a nice bowl of Pho sometime next week.

The Academy Awards is now over and I’m too relaxed for my own good. The timer on my body is clicked to “bedtime” and all I can think about is the enticing bed waiting for us in the master bedroom. We are ready to shut down the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment