Sunday, August 30, 2009

garlic infused

An evite was sent to me several weeks ago, but I am opening it today, an hour before the start of the party. As I pull it up, the title reads " A message about END of Summer GARLIC Fest" and before I click on VIEW INVITATION, a long description of the party is written directly below it. It reads "it is hot so come early and bring your swim suite, come hungry and ready to rock!!!! See you all then!!!" At this point, I proceed to view the invitation and inside is the exact same description and following that is another message screaming, "BRING YOUR BEANO!!! All in oversized caps and three exclamation marks at the end. This is getting serious. Continuing on is a menu listing all the possible garlic dishes. Menu: Garlic infused Korean BBQ, misc roasted garlic, brown sugar, chapotle chile BBQ, sour cream bread, spicy marinated garlic, garlic chunk veggie chillie, and finally, garlic mashed potatoes. Immediately trailing that is another message "as my wheels keep turning there will be more dishes added to the list!!! I notice once again, three aggressive exclamation marks. This sums up a small example of what Lori Vu's parties will be like. A food fest would describe it more accurately. I am getting hurgry!

Anne and I arrive at this garlic fest at six thirty, just two and a half hours after the time on the invitation. As I carry the case of Stella Artoise in my hands, feeling guilty for not bringing anything with garlic in it, a nice gentleman whose name remains unknown, abducts the case and swiftly vanishes through the front door. I thank him out of relief. As we approach the open door, the chaos and boisterousness becomes more exaggerated. My excitment level continues to elevate as we pass through the front door.

Straight ahead of the door way parks the kitchen island and on it sits all kinds of food, and at a quick glance, I see pasta, garlic bread and garlic stuffed olives. There is so much food that the beautiful marble coutertop is barely visable anymore. The stove is facing the counter on the right side and on it are more delicous garlic flavored food. In a large tin container, I can tell that it is home to the garlic BBQ ribs. My mouth starts to water as I carry on through the kitchen area thinking about one summer when Lori barbequed what I thought was ribs and I devoured it without any knowledge of what it really was, ox tail. And to my surprise, I really liked it although I would never go craving for it. Between the stove and the sink is a corner that is an area designated to mixing alcoholic drinks. I realize that this is where dangerous concoctions are being conglomerated so I decide then to avoid this area at all cost. Investigating further, before participating in the fun, I cruise out the sliding door that leads to the back patio where the rest of the party is disposed. Several young kids are playing in the pool while some adults rest their behinds on the comfortable couches facing the pool and others gather devinely around the poolside, probably wishing they have the guts to join the kids. Usually, after several drinks, it magically alters your state of mind, making you feel overly confident and daring. It's only a matter of how many more drinks until the adults will join the kids in that persuasive pool. I can't wait.

Now that I've thoroughly checked out the scene and like what is going on, I am ready to get my hands and face dirty! Knowing that my main obsession is the barbequed ribs, which is being grilled by the master miss Vu, I control my urge and only pick out some wings, olives and one slice of garlic patty and a bud light that isn't quite cold enough. I sit myself down on an ottiman next to Lisa, facing Anne and Diane, and get my munch on. Minutes later, I set out in search of that barbequed ribs I've been longing for. Returning to my seat soon after with a gigantic rib on my plate, I try with all my might to destroy that thing. Not willing to dig my teeth into it and pull off the meat, I lose the battle. I gave up. After exhausting my little fingers, I pass it over to Arthur who was nice enough to take over.

The sun goes under the horizon and darkness opens over us like a black umbrella. One by one, the adults make their way in the pool and people are at their peek, talking with a louder voice, taking shots of liquor, and making moves to some cheesey 90's music. Crowding around the bar area stands John who is Lori's older brother and with his left arm raising over his head, reaching straight to the ceiling, he holds a mysterious bottle called Phu Quoc. If you're not familiar with the bottle or the name, you'd think it is a bottle of some sort of exotic liquor. It is an authentic fish sauce imported from the island of Phu Quoc, Vietnam. At the top of his lungs, he screams, "who wants a shot"? Reluctant to really find out the exact content of this bottle with a weird lable, Wayne responds, "I'll do it with you". And so the real fun begins. Digital camera in place, the two take a shot of this fishy liquid thing. Wayne takes the shot so smoothly, you could've mistaken it to be Don Julio, While John holds it in his mouth, motioning to vommitt. It does not look pleasant.

It is getting late and I have to make my way over to my brother's house where I will consume more alcohol and eat more stuff so I will say my good byes to the people I know. Once again, Lori's party is hands down, tastey, satisfying, and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment