Monday, August 31, 2009

dear mr. salim

It's been about two weeks since the last time I saw you. It's seven thirty in the morning and I'm sitting on this hedge of red bricks that is positioned in front of Special Services building, waiting for my classroom to open. You'd be proud to know that I notice dew collected on the overgrown grass below me. I view this campus in a delightfully different way now because of you. About 50 yards in front of me is the end of Business Education building and leaning on its side is the Hollywood Juniper. It is tilting away from sea breeze, with its tips pointing towards me. On our last lab assignment, Megan and I struggled to locate that juniper because for the longest time I thought it was a cypress tree. Out of respect, Megan invested trust in me, and so leading her to the wrong tree wasted a lot of our lab time and made me feel like an idiot. I'm one plant smarter because of you. Anyway, I'm back in school again, moving forward with fall semester.

As I try to locate C&L building, which I find out a few minutes ago, stands for Classrooms and Lecture, I think of you. I can rememer how articulate you are, the way you explain the corriolis effect, and how your patience and confidence in us makes me feel extremely comfortable and at ease. Your last words to me were "you're a strong student, and althought the school systems are getting harder, you will be successful with what you do, keep going". As corny as this may sound, I will never forget those words!

With the sun beating on my back and class starting in thirteen minutes, an anxious feeling builds up inside me. Standing in front of room C&L 112, I look through the opening on the door and I can see a lot of students sitting patiently throughout the room as the teacher occupies her time on the computer. Thinking that I may be late, I hesitantly open the door to rush in and sat myself down at an empty desk situating at the very front.

The teacher is female and carries a slender, petite figure with medium length hair, blonde and undone. She dresses in a brown corduroy skirt and a white button down shirt that tightly snuggles her body. She seems nice. The clock strikes 8 and she starts to introduce herself. I am having trouble recognizing the name, so I quickly raise my hand and tell her I must be in the wrong class. Checking my schedule again and thanking her, I get out of the desk and exits through the same door I came in. After checking my schedule one more time, this time online at the Watson Hall, I realize that my class actually starts tomorrow. Written on bright pink stick-it note is two different class description both in black ink and printed in caps. In red, a slim line is drawn through M &W on the first class and on top of it wrote "T and Th". The abbreviation stands for Tuesday and Thursday and apparently it was overlooked all along. Neglecting to double check my schedule before the day of class, I had wasted not only nearly 2 hours of the day, but also mental preparation .

Although class doesn't start til tomorrow, my first lesson of the semester is to pay attention to minor details! As I think of this, I think of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment