Wednesday, June 17, 2009

van and vaan


Let's put all that innovative ways of communicating aside, my cousin is officially in town and we are about to really connect. Oh my, trapped behind this bright screen, the world of online communicating, has depleted my desire to just get out. How I've forgotten how it works.

Van Truong, who is the daughter of my dad's younger brother is just seven months and seven days older than I am. Growing up with two older brothers and no sisters, my cousin naturally became my best friend, practically soul mates - to the extreme of being telepathically connected. There are countless times when we can sense each other's traumatic experiences. This is no joke. Needless to say, we share the exact same name - first, last, and middle initial. To tell us apart, she goes by Van number one and I go by Van number two. The double 'a' that appears in my name now is an accidental (seriously) occurrence.

My cousin is scheduled to arrive from Las Vegas at 2pm with her girl friend, Michiline, which I later find out whose birthday we are celebrating. Since they are only staying for less than 24 hours, we are under subtle pressure to meet, greet and say good bye. This is where facebook could've come in handy. Just send me a simple wall post and call it a day.

After exchanging numerous text messenges, a couple of which is misconstrued, I make my way over to Shore Break Hotel in Huntington Beach to pick them up - this is around 7pm. Between the hours of 7pm and 3 in the morning, we had hit several different venues including Tantulum, a fancy restaurant in Long Beach, a mid-night cruise in Long Beach Bay, a bar off of Main St. in Huntington Beach, a manic photo session back t the hotel room, then to wrap it up, dunking our feet into the freezy ocean - at 3 am. It was so much fun!

I realize how easy it is to let all that time go by and how much of my cousin I've sincerely missed. I wish it was like this all the time. I wish Facebook never existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment