Monday, June 22, 2009

mini adults

Kids come in all shapes and sizes - some are loud, some are smart-alecks, some are rude, and others are rebels. They are kids. And kids are annoying. As adults, we try to keep them from adult conversations, adult parties, practically anything adult related. It's sad.

It's a beautiful afternoon and we arrive at Plant Motif's design studio just in time to put a few plant arrangements together. Samuel, who turned 10 in February, is the oldest son of my oldest brother, rolls up his sleeves with the intentions of helping me -design. Hesitant to let him help (as if it's a priveledge), I suggest that he help clean and keep things in order around the studio. Now that's a great way to keep him distracted. He is eager.

As I zone out of reality and into my artist mode, I struggle to get the design just right. He comes up behind me, with both hands on his lower back, he softly says, "I like the placement of that plant, it looks good right there. Maybe we should add this here for balance, he would continue". Suddenly I'm no longer stuck. His suggestion enlivened my creativity. He saved me.

Although kids do come in all shapes and sizes, they are a lot like us. My nephew samuel and other kids alike are not just a kid, they are the smaller version of us - adults. So lets be patient with them and help them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment